- Most Americans Put Blame On Republicans And Trump If Government Shuts Down
- Trump Lawyer Used Fake Company, Names to Pay Stormy Daniels
- Graham: ‘I Know What Was Said’
- Celebrities Blame Trump For Hawaii Missile Scare
- Trump’s First Year As President Resulted In Less Jobs Created Than Obama’s Last Year
- Trump Campaign Aide Spoke Of Possible Russia Collusion During Drunken Conversation
- Trump Lawyers Will Cast Flynn as a Liar
- Sanders: Republicans Should Be Worried About 2018
- Mueller Expanding Probe to RNC
- Obama, Clinton Top List As Most Admired Man, Woman
Trump Says Government Could Shutdown on Saturday
President Trump said during a cabinet meeting Wednesday said that the government may shut down at midnight on Friday if lawmakers can’t come to some sort of agreement on a continuing resolution to fund operations.
“It could happen,” Trump said.
He then tried to blame Democrats, saying they are “are looking at shutting down” the government because they have certain policy demands. Republicans control every branch of Congress.
“The Democrats are really looking at something that is very dangerous to our country,” he said. “They want to have illegal immigrants, in many case, people that we don’t want in our country. They want to have illegal immigrants pouring into our country, bringing with them crime, tremendous amounts of crime. We don’t want to have that.”
After ending DACA, Trump kicked to the curb the issue of protecting legal protections for undocumented children who were brought to the United States by their parents. He had pledged to work with Democratic leaders on a fix, but he has backpedaled on that stance in recent days after blowback from his party on the notion of actually working in a bipartisan manner on an important issue that affects people’s lives.
Trump and the GOP keep trying to blame Democrats for all their woes, but most of the party’s wounds are self-inflicted at this point. They have passed tax legislation that is tantamount to class warfare against the poor while simultaneously destroying the healthcare market for millions of Americans. They’ve hitched their wagons to a child molester in the Alabama Senate race. And now, even though they are in total control of Congress, they somehow can’t manage to simply keep the government going.
Come 2018, these are things that Republicans are going to have to own for themselves. They won’t be able to blame Democrats for their own bad behavior, and the voters are likely to remind them of that fact.