- Most Americans Put Blame On Republicans And Trump If Government Shuts Down
- Trump Lawyer Used Fake Company, Names to Pay Stormy Daniels
- Graham: ‘I Know What Was Said’
- Celebrities Blame Trump For Hawaii Missile Scare
- Trump’s First Year As President Resulted In Less Jobs Created Than Obama’s Last Year
- Trump Campaign Aide Spoke Of Possible Russia Collusion During Drunken Conversation
- Trump Lawyers Will Cast Flynn as a Liar
- Sanders: Republicans Should Be Worried About 2018
- Mueller Expanding Probe to RNC
- Obama, Clinton Top List As Most Admired Man, Woman
Schumer Hands Over Fake Sexual Harassment Claim To Cops
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) is working with Capitol Police to determine who authored a forged document that falsely accuses him of sexually harassing a former staffer.
Both Schumer and the staffer are denying the validity of the accusation, which appears to be a badly forged court filing. In an Axios report, the staffer says she never filed such a complaint and that she enjoyed her time working for the Minority Leader.
“The claims in this document are completely false, my signature is forged, and even basic facts about me are wrong. I have contacted law enforcement to determine who is responsible. I parted with Senator Schumer’s office on good terms and have nothing but the fondest memories of my time there.”
In an interview with Talking Points Memo, Schumer communications director Matt House says the Senator has contacted local authorities and will be pursuing charges against the person who forged the complain.
“We have turned it over to the Capitol Police and asked them to investigate and pursue criminal charges because it is clear the law has been broken. We believe the individual responsible for forging the document should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law to prevent other malicious actors from doing the same.”
In the current political climate, almost every allegation of sexual misconduct by a sitting member of Congress is being taken seriously. That’s why it’s more important that ever to vet each claim, because society is erring on the side of believing the accuser.
The rate of false reports is so low that such a position is a reasonable one to take, but every once in a while someone will try to capitalize on the momentum of the #MeToo movement to further their own nefarious agenda. It appears that the safeguards to prevent false reports from gaining tractions are still working, though.